Tuesday 11 October 2011

4. Alec Soth - Cemetery, Fountain City, Wisconsin


This photograph is called 'Cemetery, Fountain City, Wisconsin' and was taken by the photographer Alec Soth for his collection of photographs called 'Sleeping by the Mississippi'. I've only just come across Alec Soth due to taking photography for one of my subjects. Each photograph of Alec Soth is interesting, but was instantly drawn to this photograph. 

What drew me in was the colours in the photograph and how suttle they make the photo. The trees above the graves are dark and instantly draws your eye to the gas station. The lights beaming from the gas station roof draws you in to believe that the gas station is the main subject, until you realise that it is in fact the background of the unclear cemetery is the main subject. The whole photo seems chilled and quiet but I think realising the graveyard behind the what we ought to believe is the main subject possibly makes it a little uneasy for the viewer.

Coming across Alec Soth's work has made me eager to go travelling and to just document throughout. I find his work inspiring because whether the subject of the photograph is uneasy I still find it beautiful

No comments:

Post a Comment