Tuesday 11 October 2011

3. Tim Walker - The Dress Lamp Tree


This is one of my favourites pieces by the artist Tim Walker.

Tim Walker is a British fashion photographer and also from time to time is a set designer, he has worked with the likes of Vogue and Elle magazine. His work appeared in Vogue, month after month for a decade. His style is mainly evolved around extravagant staging and romantic motifs. After involving his work around the photographic side he's now making film.

This photograph are simply lit up dresses hanging from a tree, almost creating it a fairytale like photograph which also seems sculptural. For my first FMP (Final Major Project) in my second year of college I based it around the theme 'Make Believe' and 'Fairytale'. I chose Tim Walker as my main area of interest as his work represented my ideas and what I wanted to do. This photograph was mainly my inspiration as I wanted to make a dress and somehow corporate the fairytale theme amongst it. My final was my simple dress that I made and I used helium balloons to hold it up, the location of the dress was up in a quarry by my house where there is an old abandoned house surrounded by derelict stone and slate along with trees, again inspired by the location of this photograph.

My final photographs, inspired by Tim Walker. 



In her music video for Only Girl (In The World), Rihanna took 'inspiration' from this photograph and many others by Tim Walker. Anthony Mandler who directed the video, stole the idea from this photograph and others and used it in the video. 


His latest film he has worked on for Vogue Italia in October 2011, Mechanical Dolls by Tim Walker.

1 comment:

  1. I tottaly fell for Tim Walker's dresses-lantern. Your Tim-inspired pictures are absolutely stunning! I love it :)

    ReplyDelete